EXCEPTIONAL OBTAINING OF TURKISH CITIZENSHIP BY ACQUISITION OF REAL ESTATE
Those with their spouses and children under the age of 18, who do not work in Turkey, but invest within the scope and amount determined by the President, can exceptionally obtain Turkish Citizenship. With the latest regulations introduced in 2022, foreigners with their spouses and children under the age of 18, who have purchased real estate (real estate such as home and workplace) worth at least 400,000 USD, have been given the opportunity to obtain Turkish citizenship exceptionally. An application with the necessary documents, will be made to the General Directorate of Population and Citizenship Affairs under the Ministry of Interior.
Primarily, the person who wants to become a Turkish Citizen must purchase real estate worth to 400,000 USD. Below you can see the steps to be taken:
ACQUISITION OF REAL ESTATE
Property must be purchased with a minimum value of 400,000 USD. When purchasing real estate, a 3-year not-sold annotation should be placed in the land registry. According to the scope of Article 20 of the Regulation on The Implementation of The Turkish Citizenship Law, If the annotation is not added to the land registry of real estate, an annotation of not being sold for 3 years shall be committed to the General Directorate of Land Registry and Cadastre.
Note: Instead of the American dollar demanded as a monetary condition, foreign currency or Turkish Lira with the same value is sufficient for this condition to be fulfilled. The effective selling rate and/or cross-exchange rate of the Central Bank of the Republic of Turkey (CBRT) on the date of determination is taken as basis in determining this monetary condition.
What is the Title Deed Procedure of the Real Estate Purchased in Turkey?
- In order for foreigners to own real estate in Turkey, first of all, a preliminary application must be made to the land registry directorates. (https://randevu.tkgm.gov.tr/)
- After the preliminary application, the date is determined for the transfer of the real estate.
- Application documents must be ready on the determined day.
Required Documents for Purchasing Real Estate in Turkey
- Deed of real estate
- Passport and its photocopy belonging to the purchaser of the real estate (with a certified Turkish translation)
- Document on “the current market value of the real estate” issued by the relevant municipality
- Mandatory earthquake insurance policy for the housings or workplaces
- A photo of the seller (white background and biometric)
- Two photos of the purchaser (white background and biometric)
- Sworn translator in case the foreigner who buys does not speak Turkish
- In case the transfer transactions are made with a proxy, the original or certified copy of the power of attorney is required (if it was issued abroad, certified Turkish translation is requested)
Fees and Costs in Purchasing Real Estate in Turkey:
- Title deed fee (It is determined by the value of the house)
- Revolving fund fee
- Service fee for the Land Registry Offices
Notes to Know about Purchasing Real Estate in Turkey
- There must be no restrictions on the real estate such as mortgages, liens, injunctions
- A preliminary application should be made to the Land Registry Offices for the transfer process.
- Conveyance of title is only possible with the official deed and registration that was signed at the Land Registry Offices.
- A residence permit is not necessary while purchasing real estate.
OBTAINING A SHORT-TERM RESIDENCE PERMIT
In order to cover the completion of the citizenship application procedures, a residence permit must also be obtained on the real estate. In other words, a short-term residence permit must be obtained on the real estate after the house is purchased (6458-31/J). The documents required for obtaining a residence permit after owned a real estate are listed below: After purchasing the real estate, the documents required for obtaining a residence permit are listed below:
Documents Required for Obtaining a Short-Term Residence Permit:
- Residence Permit Application Form [Must be signed by the foreigner and/or his legal representative. (It will be filled by our visa experts.)]
- Original and photocopy of passport or substitute document which is valid for 60 days longer than the requested residence permit (The page with the identity information and the photo, and processed pages)
- 4 photographs (Taken within the last 6 months, must have a white background and biometric.)
- Statement that you have sufficient and regular financial means during your stay (It is declared in the Application Form. The administration may request supporting documents.)
- Valid health insurance [The insurance period must cover the desired residence permit period (The health insurance policy will be arranged by our visa experts.)]
- Receipt of payment of tuition and card fee paid to the state (It is paid by our visa experts on behalf of the applicant.) (Fees and card fees vary according to the nationality of the foreigner.)
- E-signed/signed and sealed/stamped official document that shows the residence belongs to the person (Title Deed)
Persons who purchased real estate, must enter Turkey to apply for residence permit. This entry may be with a visa or a visa exemption. Applications are submitted to the General Directorate of Migration Management with the documents requested. Application for Turkish Citizenship will be submitted right after the residence permit is obtained.
RECEIVING THE REAL ESTATE VALUATION REPORT
In order to obtain Turkish citizenship by acquisition of real estate within this regulation, a “Real Estate Valuation Report” that shows the market value of the real estate must be obtained from an appraiser with a valid license approved by SPK through applying to the one of the Capital Markets Board (SPK) Valuation Companies. This report is to determine the amount of 400,000 USD mentioned in the application through the acquisition of the real estate via sale. While the SPK expert makes the valuation, the effective selling rate and/or cross exchange rate of the Central Bank of the Republic of Turkey (TCBM) is taken as basis on the determination date of the transaction.
OBTAINING DOCUMENTS FOR TURKISH CITIZENSHIP APPLICATION
Specified documents are obtained by the foreign person by herself/himself or by the lawyer if a power of attorney is given to the lawyer. If there are documents that cannot be obtained with a lawyer, the person must obtain it by herself/himself. The documents required for obtaining Turkish citizenship by real estate acquisition are listed as follows:
Documents Required for Obtaining a Short-Term Residence Permit:
- Application Form
- 2 photographs (a white background and biometric)
- Passport (and its notarized Turkish translation)
- Document showing the applicant’s identity information (such as birth certificate)
- Health report
- If the applicant has 1st or 2nd degree relatives of Turkish Citizens, a copy of the birth certificate of these people
- Document showing the applicant’s marital status
- If the applicant is married, marriage certificate and birth certificate that state the spouse and children
- If the applicant is divorced, the document proving this situation, or if the applicant is a widow, death certificate of her/his spouse
- If the child under the age of 18 who is in the guardianship of the applicant is also desired to obtain Turkish citizenship, a document showing the consent of the other parent, issued by notary in Turkey or issued by the foreign representative or the competent authorities of the country, and its duly approved Turkish translation must be provided.
- If only the applicant’s year of birth is known, and if the month and day is unknown, a document from his/her home country is provided to add these dates
- Receipt showing that the service fee has been paid to the Finance Cashiera
APPLICATION FOR TURKISH CITIZENSHIP
To obtain the exceptional acquisition of Turkish citizenship, an application is submitted to the General Directorate of Population and Citizenship Affairs with the documents required. In order not to have any problems with your application, the required documents of the Turkish Citizenship application must be completed correctly.
REVIEW OF THE APPLICATION
The citizenship application is reviewed by the commission formed by the relevant Ministries. After the review, the application is submitted to the President of the Republic of Turkey, for approval. The President of the Republic of Turkey makes the final decision about the application.
INTERVIEW AND FINGERPRINT
The applicant is invited to the nearest provincial police department for fingerprinting and an interview, during the approval phase.
Expenses For Turkish Citizenship Application
- Service fees to be collected by the state
- Reporting costs of SPK Appraisal Companies
- Translation costs
- Notary expenses
- Costs for documents received from relevant government departments
- Cost of obtaining a medical report
- Attorney, consultation and operation costs
The most important factor in the process of obtaining Turkish citizenship is preparation of the required documents in accordance with the legislations and procedures. A single deficiency or mistake may cause negative result of your application. Therefore, it will be much better and convenient to receive consultancy from our specialists in this process. Contact us to prepare your application documents, to make the application for Turkish Citizenship and to obtain Turkish Citizenship within 45-90 days. With years of experience, our professional team supports you at every step and guarantees that your application is completed with correct preparation of the documents.
REAL ESTATE CAN BE PURCHASED WITH A POWER OF ATTORNEY GIVEN FROM ABROAD!
If the purchasing is carried out by a third person authorized by a power of attorney issued abroad, the power of attorney must include the authorization for the purchasing to be made. The power of attorney must meet the following conditions:
- Issued by Turkish consulates on real estate at their own discretion
- Issued by the competent authorities authorized to issue a power of attorney abroad
- Issued in the language of the country in which it is issued
- Contains photo (with a clear seal and signature on the photograph)
- If it is issued in a country that is party to the Hague Convention, it contains apostille
- The Hague Convention: The certified power of attorney regarding the signature of the official signed by the relevant authority, and if the power of attorney is issued in a country that is not a party, the signature and seal of this authority must be certified by the Turkish Consulate.
The application must also submit a notarized and certified Turkish translation of the power of attorney that meets the required criteria.
ABOUT HERITAGE LAW?
The inheritance right of foreigners is protected in Turkey. In the case of the death of the foreigner, the real estate owned by the foreigner, passes to his heirs. If the heir is entitled to receive the immovable (if eligible for citizenship and per capita and country-wide aggregate restrictions allow), the heir can keep the inherited property. Otherwise, this person will immediately handover the immovable and the Ministry of Treasury and Finance sells the immovable and returns the price to the heir.
CONDITIONS FOR TURKISH CITIZENSHIP BY CAPITAL INVESTMENT
According to 12 January 2017 date and no 29946 “Regulation Amending the Regulation on The Implementation of The Turkish Citizenship Law”, foreigners who make a fixed capital investment amounting to a minimum of 500.000 USD or equivalent foreign currency in a Turkish corporate entity can be granted Turkish citizenship by the President of Republic of Turkey. Due to this regulation, citizenship applications of foreigners will be evaluated within the framework of the procedures and principles below.
Application and Evaluation Process
- Foreign real persons who will apply for citizenship based on a fixed capital investment of 500,000 USD, make written applications to the Ministry of Commerce with the following documents. These are the documents in the annex of the application petition signed by the applicant:
- Fully filled investment information form
- Photocopy of the pages of the passport containing the identity information
- Trade registry gazette record showing the capital amount and shareholding structure of the legal entity that made the fixed capital investment
- Special purpose report showing the fixed capital amount approved by Sworn-in Certified Public Accountant (YMM) (includes some findings on background information of fixed capital investments made after the Regulation. The fixed capital investments made in the maximum 3-year period before the application date, will be taken into account within the scope of the report for the applications in the following years.)
- In the same YMM Report, it is determined that the foreign direct investment amounting to 500,000 USD has been transferred to the company’s equity capital, and the relevant foreign currency deposit account receipt is submitted.
- If the application is determined to meet the necessary conditions by the Ministry of Commerce, General Directorate of Incentive Implementation and Foreign Investment, it is submitted to the approval of the ministry. Applications that do not meet the necessary conditions are rejected by the General Directorate of Incentive Implementation and Foreign Investment. For applications made with incomplete information and documents, applications that fail to complete the missing information and documents, if the applicants do not complete the missing information and documents within 1 month following the date of the written notification to the applicant, their applications are removed from the process without the need for any additional action.
- Applications approved by the Ministry are sent to the Ministry of Interior for necessary procedures.
- In case of the foreign investor has a shareholder in the investing company at a certain rate; the ratio corresponding to the share of the individual to the company that made the investment, the amount to be obtained as a result of multiplying the total investment amount must be at least 500,000 USD.
- In terms of determining the fixed capital investment amounts, Regulation Amending the Regulation on The Implementation of The Turkish Citizenship Law introduced on the date of 12 January 2017, is considered. Fixed capital investments made before this date will not give rise to the right to apply for citizenship.
- When calculating fixed capital expenditures for applications in the years ahead, a maximum of 3 years of retrospective expenditures will be taken into account.
- In case of additional fixed capital investment in an existing investment, increased amount in the fixed capital investment from the date of starting the additional investment will be taken into account.
- If the process of citizenship procedures for the applicants, who have applied with a false and misleading document due to their content, detected by the administration, it is stopped, and a notification is made to the Ministry of Interior for the removal of citizenship of those who have acquired citizenship. Such applicaitions with false and misleading documents due to their content will not be taken into account again even if they meet the relevant criteria.